In most jobs, some days feel like a drag. For some people it’s the end of the year mailing that requires all hands on deck. For others, it’s the cold calls that you have to make to try to sell your product. Unfortunately, few jobs are completely perfect. But how do you know if your job is right for you? More specifically, how do you know if it’s time for a career change?
Here are the tell-tale signs that it’s time to try something new:
Every morning you wake up dreading going to work
- If you find yourself in this position, it’s time to try something new. Start connecting with people. Reach out to friends and family to find out more about what they do and to learn about other industries that pique your interest. Don’t make a rash decision. But we suggest that you factor in your own happiness—that’s how you find a stable, sustainable career path.
There’s no upward mobility
- Certain companies make it difficult to get promoted. If you’ve been in the same position year after year and feel that you have no possibility of being promoted, first have a conversation with your boss. Then, think about if this is the right job for you. This might be a circumstance in which you don’t have to make a complete career change, but instead need to make a lateral change, meaning you would hold a similar position at a different company.
You no longer feel stimulated
- Your work should challenge you. It should make you think. If you no longer feel that this is the case, it’s a good idea to consider how you can apply your skills to a different field. Humans like to learn new things. Give yourself the opportunity to do so.
You can’t focus
- If you’re sitting at your desk and noticing that your mind is constantly wandering, it’s probably because your bored. Being unable to focus is a sign that your job doesn’t interest you. You know what that means. Time to start thinking about other options.
Your body is telling you something
- Finding that the stress of your job is impacting your body? Experiencing aches and pains? Wondering why your neck is constantly strained and your shoulders are pressed to your ears all the time? If the stress of your work is entering your body, it’s time to take a step back.
These aren’t the only signs that it’s time for a career change. If you feel any other indication, start exploring more options. We want to remind you that work consumes much of our daily life. Therefore, it’s really important to find jobs that make us happy. Do yourself a favor and evaluate if your job is making you happy, then evaluate if you have the resources to try something new. Be thoughtful in your decision. Remember, if you’re not sure what you want to do next, we’re here to help! We’re happy to find you a temporary position where you can test the waters.